Cannabis has a reputation for making people high, and most won’t let go of that when judging or evaluating any type of product that comes from the notorious plant. However, things are not as black and white as they might seem.
While cannabis does possess the ability to alter your state of mind and make you unfit to drive a car, for instance, it also has many beneficial qualities due to the presence of compounds such as CBD, which is known for its numerous health benefits.
Can CBD Really Get You High?
Unlike what you might have heard, CBD doesn’t actually have the ability to make anyone high. If you’re smoking marijuana or using cannabis products based on raw extracts that have not been refined or processed, chances are you will get high because of another well-known compound found in the marijuana plant – THC (or tetrahydrocannabinol).
As for CBD, it affects only cannabinoid receptors of the body that have to do with functions like pain and immunity. While it does affect the brain as well, scientific research has proven that CBD doesn’t actually have any other psychological effect on the brain except to induce a general state of well-being and calm, which is often attributed to the substance’s ability to influence serotonin.
Some CBD oils are known to make you mildly high, however, that’s because they also contain THC in small amounts. As a result, it’s important to avoid listening to any kind of misinformation about CBD being an addictive drug that will make you high.
The Qualities of CBD
Instead of getting you high, CBD has many qualities and health benefits that you can draw upon to make yourself feel better. These include:
- CBD has not only been known to help fight off depression and anxiety, but also to have anti-psychotic effects as well.
- CBD has been known to help people fall asleep and sleep through the night. If you have sleep issues, CBD for sleep Frederick MD retailers may have a solution for you.
- If you are undergoing substance abuse treatment, you might want to consider CBD as a possible alternative treatment.
- The compound’s ability to interact and regulate the body’s own natural cannabinoid receptors makes it an excellent solution for a variety of different types of pain.
- Some test tube and animal studies showed that CBD has the potential to offer help with handling certain tumors and cancers.
- The use of CBD in diabetic mice proved that it can also be utilized to get rid of diabetes.
Are There Any Side Effects?
So, we already know that CBD won’t get you high. But are there any other side effects that might actually occur? In most cases, CBD oil and extracts are quite safe to use, unless you have an underlying condition that it can interfere with, or if you have a prescription of medicine that, together with CBD, can cause certain harmful aftereffects.
Some studies have detected certain side effects that can happen even under normal circumstances. They include diarrhea, fatigue, and certain changes in weight and appetite.